It’s not hard to see why.
The parents of two young children were the first people to speak out publicly against Bae’s $50 million payout to the families of four children who were abducted by his captors.
In a letter published by TMZ on Tuesday, Bae apologized for his actions and said he did nothing wrong.
“I have hurt many people and I am sorry.
I don’t understand what I have done.
I’m sorry,” he wrote.
More from TIME: ‘No excuses’ for the Bae payout article The letter, however, was quickly shot down by the U.S. Justice Department.
Bae’s lawyers said in a statement Tuesday that the Justice Department is “not satisfied” with the letter and that the department is investigating Bae to determine whether his claims were legitimate.
On Monday, a U.N. panel that has reviewed Bae and his compensation claim also said he is a human rights violator.
The families of the four children were abducted in April 2016 in North Hamgyong Province.
At the time, the families said Bae was trying to pay them for children he had taken from them in a sex slave trade.
The U.K.-based group Human Rights Watch said BAE “used children as human shields” to smuggle children to China.
China denied the accusations, saying that it had rescued about 400 children from forced labor and other abuses, and that most of them had been repatriated to North Korea.
Chinese President Xi Jinping, in an interview with a UPI television network on Monday, said China will work to “examine the truth of what happened.”
The Justice Department’s probe comes after more than 100 celebrities and activists have come forward with their own accounts of abuse at the hands of the Kim family.
Read more at TIME.com and TIME.co.uk